February 2022: Joyce Drife, The Milkweed Community: More Than Monarchs
Our Speaker Joyce Drife was born in Michigan. Joyce has been interested in nature since childhood. She spent many hours roaming through fields and woods as a child and young adult. She met her husband Don Drife on a white-water rafting trip to Idaho, and they have been exploring the natural world together for over 40 years. Finding interesting plants, insects, etc. to photograph has been fun and rewarding.
Her husband’s blog “The Michigan Nature Guy“, check out the great photography and blog entries about the flora and fauna of Michigan.
January 2022: Cheryl English, Spring Beauties: Native Wildflowers for the Woodland Garden
- Events page Black Cat Pottery|Events|Detroit MI
- Interested in a Garden Tour at Black Cat Pottery
- Interested in prints of native plants from the presentation: Notable Greetings: Michigan Wildflowers in fine art photographs and note cards
November 2021: Katie Yates, Clinton River Watershed Council & Seed Swap
- CRWC Homeowner Resource Links
- Green Infrastructure for water control
- Info on becoming a Stream Leader or volunteer
- Microplastic information & laundry bag info Resources & Documents | Clinton River Watershed Council (crwc.org)
- Home page for Pollinator Partnership: https://www.pollinator.org/
- Seed collection page for Project Wingspan (program of Pollinator Partnership) https://www.pollinator.org/wingspan/seed-collection
October 2021: Marilyn Trent & Stephanie Smith, Rochester Pollinators
Grow Back Better: Planting Natives in the Fall and Fall Native Garden Clean-up Tips
- Nesting & Overwintering Habitat for Pollinators & Other Beneficial Insects
- A Comprehensive Guide to Move Beyond Flowers and Create Overwintering Habitat in Your Landscaping
- Soft Landings
- Creating Soft Landings underneath native trees, especially Oak Trees, is crucial to so many butterflies, moths and more.
Rochester Pollinators Resource Links – Native Plants and Garden Plans:
- Components of a Butterfly Garden
- What it takes to start your butterfly garden including nectar rich plants, host plants and the butterflies that need them for their young, and the pollinators they attract.
- Rochester Pollinators Brochure
- Why pollinators and the Monarch butterfly need our help; the Rochester Pollinators’ mission.
- Pollinator Plant List
- A list of 18 pollinator plants with heights, sun and water needs perfect for your home garden!
- Starter Garden Layout
- Original starter pollinator garden layout.
- Garden Plans
- Various garden plans based on your space, sun and soil type.
Some of our past presenters have been gracious enough to share their slides with us. Please take a look!
- Introduction to pollinators for use by nature centers, scouts, 4-H groups and others. ”The Birds and the Bees and . . .The Beetles. Why Care about Pollinators”
(PowerPoint 4 MB)